From this scene to and then to
You want to make your icon look hot? Crop! It's all about the cropping for this icon. And of course the layers and colors etc *grins*
01. Think about what your icon should look like and crop then down to 100x100. I wanted a slight UST look for this icon.
02. Dublicate the layer and set it to Screen (Opacity: 100%). Then go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur and set the Radius to 1,3
03. Dublicate that layer
04. Go to Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Hue/Saturation and set Saturation to -52
05. Merge all layers (Shift+Ctrl+E) and go to Filter -> Sharpen -> Sharpen and sharpen your image twice. DO NOT BLUR! You see the rough texture of Jack's skin? It gives the icon this little wild touch.
06. Dublicate the layer and set the copy to Soft Light (Opacity: 100%)
07. Add this gradient (by __kali__ - gradient set here) and set it to Color Burn (Opacity: 100%)
08. Add a new layer and fill it with #24003D Set it to Exclusion (Opacity: 100%)
09. Now dublicate the layer from step 06 and drag the copy on top of all layers
10. Add this brush (by colortone) in #FFFFFF
Any problems? Just ask ^-^